Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Favorite Books

First, I must apologize. I've been a bit preoccupied with the whole trying-to-conceive thing and haven't done anything "Ask Lora" related. (No news yet - or rather, no news I can report publicly.) Don't maim me!

Now, for the third question from "Anonymous," as I have yet to research their fourth question.

"What is your favorite book of scripture and why? And what about your favorite non-scriptural book?"

Well, Anonymous, that's a question I'll answer with a story. One year at Girl's Camp, there was a theme which had something to do with flags - maybe ships? I dunno, but it's not important. Anyway, we ended up decorating our own flags. They were supposed to represent us through our favorite colors, sayings, scriptures, etc. I believe I was in the Stake camp that year, so I had quite a bit of time to decorate my flag. 

While my friend and I were rifling through our scriptures, looking for our favorites, it occurred to me that I wasn't really sure what to pick. As I searched, I would exclaim one book was really great, then the next. After a while, my friend would roll her eyes and say something along the lines of "Let me guess. It's your favorite."

I couldn't help it! They were all so good! That said, I've always gravitated toward the book of Enos. I've just always been touched how a man could have faith enough to get down on his knees and pray his heart out, enough to have his sins forgiven. Then he prays for other people. What a guy!

Past that, I wouldn't say I have a particular favorite book. Something I've always believed is that all parts of the scriptures are for us at some time or another. I might like a particular scripture a little more for a while because it's the one which fits my current situation, but even that changes. A scripture I've liked for a while is 1 Corinthians 10:13:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
I don't know about you, but I regularly mess up, and it's nice to know I'm not alone. Not only is my particular mistake not completely unheard of, someone else has also made it! Oh, humanity. Then there's the part about how the Lord doesn't allow you to be tempted more than you are able to bear. In other words, you will always have the strength to resist and/or recover from the temptations which vex you. That gives me such great hope!!

The second part of Anonymous's question references non-scriptural books, mainly my favorite one. I think my favorite book would have to be "Reflections of a Scientist" by Henry B. Eyring Sr. I'm that weird girl who actually enjoys assigned readings (when they're not ridiculous like The Grapes of Wrath, which I loathe - in fact, I wrote a paper during high school on how I hated that book and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, although it was excellently composed. Yeah, I got full marks for that gem.)

Anyway, this was an assigned reading for my Science Foundations class (which I also enjoyed - I know, I'm sick in the head.) It's about how Henry Eyring, as a scientist, closes the gap between his faith and science. Really, it was eye-opening for me. I would consider finding this book well within the top ten best things which happened to me because of my year of college, and would heartily recommend it to anyone who finds reconciling an interest in science and their faith in God difficult.

I have yet to procure my own copy, but I thoroughly intend to do so. Thanks for renewing my desire to do so!

As always, feel free to send your questions so ask.lora@yahoo.com. I'll respond post-haste!

Sincerely,
Lora.

3 comments:

  1. That science book sounds interesting, I'll have to look into reading that! Also, your Grapes of Wrath essay reminds me of a speech I gave for my public speaking class this semester. I presented a speech about why I believe it is a horrible punishment and unconstitutional to force a student to give a speech (I got full marks for that too!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! That speech sounds pretty neat too. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've meant to read that Eyring book but haven't yet. I'll put it on my list! Thanks, Rhyetta

    ReplyDelete