Friday, April 5, 2013

Cats: The TRUTH (With Pictures!!)

I have a secret which will only really be a secret if you've never seen my Facebook page. I love cats. I'd rather spend the day with my cats than with children. Does that make me a terrible person? Maybe. For the record, this isn't me:


... although I did use eHarmony. (It didn't work. LDSPlanet did, though!!)

(Loyal followers might recall a similar post on another blog. Feel free to peruse that one too!)

I've had cats for as long as I can remember, wherever I lived. I believe the first cat in my life was named Dog (because that's how my family rolls), and it became clear that I was allergic to cats. I grew out of that allergy, fortunately, and have had cats whenever possible ever since then. (Other "clever" names have been Don Gato, Bob, The CUTE, and my Mom's cat is named "Cat.")

Years of experience have taught me one important thing: Cats can be your best friends if you treat them as such. Unfortunately, people tend to think cats are more like this:


In honor of my kitties reaching their first year of life, there are a couple myths I'd like to debunk with examples from my own babies. (You could also check out articles like this, and this.)

MYTH: All cats are the grumpy and difficult. I have had my current cats since they were only four weeks old (litter mates), and itty bitty. Even from that age, definite personalities emerge.

Penelope (or Pipps) has always been a loud-mouth who wanted to be close to me. She used to whine and whine until I would hold her close to me, where she would cuddle up and purr or sleep for hours.

Now, she remains the most vocal of my babies, even to the point that she greets me when I come home. This sweetheart also cuddles with me almost every night - sometimes right up against my face. She can be awfully stubborn, but she also makes me smile.


This is Killer, otherwise known as Bug. She has always been a sweetheart. When she was tiny, I noticed she doesn't meow like a regular cat. She chirps. She was always quieter and tends to be the shyest. She loved cuddles, and curling up on our bed to nap.

At a year old, she's still my little girl. She still cuddles with me, and still chirps like a happy bird. I enjoy how she is content to sit next to me and purr the day away. She was the most difficult to litter train (just as my mother and her soiled slacks) and tends to be the naughtiest now.

Panda is a little slow. We almost lost him after a bath one time after he started going into shock. For the first few months of his life, we weren't sure if he was capable of the slitty pupils typical of cats.

He is a mixture of needy and independent, and still very slow. He's the type of cat who would star in those videos where the cat tries to jump onto something but jumps short and falls on their face. And yes, he's a cutie and I love him.

MYTH: All cats hate water. Not so! In fact, I like to call Panda my shower buddy. Ever since he was big enough to climb up onto the edge of the tub, he has enjoyed sitting between my curtain and curtain liner while I shower, watching the water run down the plastic liner. Then, as soon as I shut off the water and push the curtain aside, he's in there playing in whatever water he can get his paws on. The same goes for Penelope and dripping faucets.

Of course, they don't enjoy being submerged in water, but all three of my fur-balls enjoy water in general. In fact, I'm considering getting a fountain for them to drink out of. It'll aerate the water and keep it moving, and I believe they'd enjoy it immensely (and I'd enjoy them not trying to drink out of the toilet.) 

MYTH: All cats prefer to be alone. This is not completely true. Cats are territorial. If you've ever had a cat and tried to introduce a "friend" you might have experienced some unexpected rivalry. Picture this from your cat's perspective, though: You're perfectly happy in your personal space, and your best friend - who is, of course, welcome in your personal space - decides to bring in some random other person. Not only is this person invading your space, but they've decided it's a good idea to spread their scent all over your things: your favorite toys, napping spots, even the window you like to gaze out of. What a nightmare! It's no wonder cats don't understand your intentions.

Because of this, you have three options:

1) Have only one cat. Although, who in their right mind can bear to have only one cat??
2) Introduce cats gently - Here's a link to Petfinder, where they talk about tips for introducing two cats. It is possible, it's just not always an easy process.
3) Pick litter mates or a couple of young babies to raise together - this way, they don't know any better than to accept the other cat as a normal part of their environment.

The truth is, cats are very social creatures. They enjoy company. I have a proverbial stack of pictures of my babies cuddling together in a heap. They groom and care for each other. They descend upon me, desperate for attention, when I arrive home after a day away. They are truly a part of our family. 

I thoroughly enjoy having cats. My sweeties are a year old now, and time has surely flown. We obtained my lovies, by the hubby's request, the day before we received our daughter's terminal diagnosis. We hadn't intended to have three cats, but they became a constant source of comfort and joy in a difficult time.

Cats can be grumpy, a lot of work, and impossibly stubborn, but, as long as you provide food, water, and a clean litter box, they will love you unconditionally. If you are able, I would definitely recommend inviting a cat or two into your life. Love them like the amazing creatures they are, and they will certainly bless your life!

Sincerely,
Lora.

Click here for a list of the "Top 10 Myths About Cat People" from Animal Planet, or here for a compilation of 50 adorable cats to improve your day!  

Oh, and this link is HILARIOUS. 

The pictures and videos in this post belong to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment