Monday, March 25, 2013

Ruth - What's the Big Deal?

So, I got my bum in gear and read the whole book of Ruth last night for this question from Anonymous:

"Why is Ruth from the Bible so admired?  I hear about what an example she is of selflessness. I read her story and I just don't get it."

First of all, without even reading, I came up with this answer: Women are so rarely mentioned in the scriptures, that I think people tend to idealize them when they do finally appear, no matter how small their role. (This isn't to say I think they're regarded as unimportant, necessarily, that's just how things were.)

The Bible Dictionary explains her significance this way: "The story of Ruth beautifully illustrates the conversion of a non-Israelite into the fold of Israel, giving up her former god and former life to unite with the household of faith in the service if the God of Israel." I feel that some of this information is implied, rather than expressly stated in the text, so I will answer based on what I gleaned from my reading.

Although I can't honestly say reading the book of Ruth really changed my mind much on the fact that people get excited when a woman shows up in the scriptures, I have two main insights to offer:

First, Ruth was fiercely loyal. After the passing of both her husband and brother-in-law, her mother-in-law, Naomi, basically tells her and her sister-in-law that she has nothing more to offer them and they should return to their parents' homes. I'll share a couple verses I like:

"11) And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
12) Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;
13) Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord is gone out against me."

It always makes me chuckle when I find little gems like this in the scriptures. It's so great to be able to detect a definite voice from what the people within them say, especially if this voice is sarcastic like Naomi's! I mean, can you imagine if you lost your husband and your mother-in-law was like "I'm sorry - I have no way to make you another husband, and would you really want to wait for him to grow up anyway?" Ha! Maybe it's just me.

Moving on. Orpah, Ruth's sister-in-law, decides to go back to be with her family. However, Ruth says:

"16) ... Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither though goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
17) Where thou diest, will I die, there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

I've heard these verses before, and I'm sure many of you have too even if you've never specifically heard about Ruth. If you think about it, it was pretty noble of her to stay with her mother-in-law, when her mother-in-law really had nothing to offer her. At that point, Ruth had no prospects and no reason to think she might have them in the future. Things would have seemed pretty hopeless if I were in that situation, and I personally would probably have gone back to my mother's house, like Orpah did, because I have a very close relationship with her. But hey, that's just me.

After being adamant about staying with Naomi, they traveled to Bethlehem, where Naomi's husband was from. Ruth, ever the devoted daughter-in-law, began gleaning corn in "the field" to help provide for her and Naomi. Eventually, Ruth ends up in the part of said field owned by a relative by the name of Boaz. Ruth catches his eye, they realize they're "kinsman," and it goes from there.

As it turns out, the closest male relative has the first say to their family member's widow, lands, and such, as stated in Matthew 22:24. ("If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." - I guess that's so everyone gets taken care of, as a woman in those days wouldn't have a great chance of making it on her own.) This is why Boaz ends up calling that meeting with the first closest relative, since he was so taken by Ruth's virtuousness, but was only the second in line - and since the first closest didn't want to take Ruth as his responsibility, Boaz got to have her.

But none of this is anything you couldn't have read on your own. My point is, Ruth worked very hard to provide and be faithful to her mother-in-law, to the point that she was known around Bethlehem for how virtuous she was. She further displayed this devotion by laying at Boaz's feet, as instructed by Naomi, to show she was willing to become his wife, as was the tradition.

Second, Ruth is an ancestor of Jesus Christ, which is quite possibly another reason why she is of particular note. Of course, there are a few generations between them, but an ancestor is an ancestor no matter how far back they go.

To sum up, Ruth - a woman - was fiercely devoted, and an ancestor of Christ. I hope that sufficiently answers your question!

Sincerely,
Lora.

No comments:

Post a Comment